It’s been a couple of months since I shared with you the strangeness that runs through my head. And since it is the beginning of a new year, it seems like a good time to share the craziness that is happening now. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but as usual, I have thoughts about a lot of things. Such as . . . Continue reading
Tag Archive | Baseball
This will be a total stream of consciousness, but I just have to tell about grandma. My grandma died early Wednesday morning November 13, 2013. I miss her terribly. She had been sick recently, but only the way that elderly people are sick. I never really thought of her as elderly because she never acted that way. She was just this lady who went about doing her thing. It was always strange to me that she would get a senior citizen discount because she just wasn’t old to me. She didn’t even look like she was anywhere close to being someone 65 years of age or older.
Orange (yes, that is my grandmother’s name) is the reason I love baseball. She was a Cubs fan and just like all the fans before her, never saw them win it all in her lifetime. However, while I saw plenty of Cubs games while growing up, I didn’t become a fan of her favorite team. In fact when I say I saw plenty of games, I mean most of the baseball watching I did as a kid was at her house. And the only things on her television were the Cubs games or her “stories” (i.e., soap operas) and if we were in the house instead of outside, that was the choice of stuff to watch. I’m not so much into daytime soap operas much, but I’m sure if I ever turned one on, it would be the same people I saw as a kid. Continue reading
I Think I’m a Football Fan Again
I am not “really” a football girl. I can watch and understand what’s happening. If I am watching with other hard-core football fans, I won’t annoy them with questions while they try to enjoy the game.
Basically, I have knowledge of the game but not nearly to the extent I do baseball or even hockey. And because of this, if friends want me to come watch the game with them, I can and have a great time while doing so.
This season however, I feel like something odd has happened. I am *almost* back to being an actual football fan. This is news to even me. I think the whole lockout was the culprit to bringing me back as well as some of my wonderful friends and colleagues at Aerys Sports Continue reading
A Profound Sadness
Lately, I have been feeling restless and a bit lost in what I want to do with myself. Work is not exactly what I want to be doing, though it pays the bills and keeps me off the dole. Fortunately, baseball season has beginning so I have that to look forward to as well as perk me up. Speaking of sports, recently there have been some things happening that are making a lot of female sports fans and women in general feel lesser and marginalized by our society.
Earlier in the year, MLB sponsored a contest to find the ultimate fan. This person would be in a decked out place and watch all 2,000+ games this baseball season. As part of this, the winner would write a blog about the experience as well as use social media to talk and promote it. The winner was announced and it turns out to be two guys who have on-stage and acting experience. This is all fine and dandy. At first I thought, ok cool for them. Then as more details emerged, it started to make me sad. Continue reading
Fan Girl Experieince Day 1 at SoxFest
Howdy everyone! As I was looking over my notes, etc from SoxFest 2011, I realized that I had a ton of stuff that i could write about. In fact, a lot of the stuff that I live tweeted, resulted in questions from followers and while I tried responding, ultimately, it ended up being too much to do via twitter because the responses would have been rather involved. Therefore, because there were several topics that led to me having more opinions on things that need expansion, I will be doing a series of posts this week to discuss things that came up, such as thoughts on Rick Hahn, the white sox farm system, preparation of the guys and other random observations.
To satisfy you until then, you can read my twitter posts (conveniently collected so you don’t have to go look at my timeline) of my time at SoxFest. As a first-timer at SoxFest, I must say it was quite well done. I didn’t do any of the pictures or autographs, but I am not really the type to want to get pictures. Though, I did get a picture with Ozzie Guillen, Jr. and Roberto Hernandez (closer for the White Sox in the mid-90s). That was fun since they were just hanging out in the hotel lobby. I also saw Alexei Ramirez just chillin’ at a table in the hotel restaurant by the lobby. He was rather accommodating to the fans wanting pics and autographs while the day’s sessions were over.
And without further ado, here are the tweets from SoxFest. I didn’t include any replies, so some of the things may not make sense, but you will get the gist of what was happening in the seminars. (and please know, that yes, while there are spelling errors at times, that is what happens at times when you tweet a lot)
Day 2 (Saturday January 22, 2011) at SoxFest
- Good Mornin! Off 2 #SoxFest. I will try to live tweet as much as possible, but if not, there will be a post on my blog about it. #WhiteSox
- L-R chris sale, dj, buddy bell, brent morel. #SoxFest http://plixi.com/p/71698030
- Keeping up w/system players: buddy bell says happy with how the guys do in the off season & where the system is headed. #SoxFest
- For most part, players aren’t majorly overhauled since come from great programs. More time spent with lowe draft picks. #SoxFest
- Foe example, Sale & B-Mo (brent morel) not tons of time given higher pick. #SoxFest
- “Big brother” set up @ the cell cause the team here can see all affiliate teams. #SoxFest
- Morel off-season prep: not much diff than prev. Lost weight during season as it was long. Sounds like more an idea … http://tmi.me/5NpfM
- DJ saying now the stuff guys diff than when he was playing, such as instructional camps, camp cora. Now full-time job to prep. #SoxFest
- Morel started season around 218 and ended around 207. Sale thinking about putting on weight! (Haha) #SoxFest
- Bell says probably hardest thing about scouting is projecting what the guy is going to look like #SoxFest
- Probably obvious given my tweets! (@ SoxFest 2011 w/ 11 others) http://4sq.com/fvQFZR
- Minors philosophy: take lead from KW & Oz. Try to prep guys for game. Make understand what need to do for the game. #SoxFest
- Stress on fundamentals & making players understand the importance. Expect perfection so ask for it. #SoxFest
- Jared Mitchell status: did afl& instructional. Doing well. Will play some major league camp. Still rehabbing. #SoxFest
- Fan asks about how chicago factors into drafting & FAs. DJ says for him is the organization as big draw. Thinks that for anyone #SoxFest
- Oh & “b-mo” is buddy bell’s nickname for brent morel, not mine. #SoxFest
- Get great guys & hope that can tinker to catch “lightening in a bottle” #SoxFest
- Org wants guys in minors to experience playoff baseball as well. Important to development. When get to najors, expected to win. #SoxFest
- Sale throws what his catchers tell him to. He trusts them. #SoxFest
- Sale’s delivery motion: came about due to looking for success. Started out throwing over top, but numbers were bad. Then changed to (cont)
- Get success. Change-up greatly improved & he stArted to find success. All b/t fresh/soph year of college. #SoxFest
- Bell doesn’t really pay attention to system rankings. #SoxFest
- And there was much chuckling about uncle phil in connection to minor league system grading. #SoxFest
- After the first seminar re the minors, I’m feeling psyched for #WhiteSox farm system. #SoxFest
- Seminar room getting packed. Ozzie & KW up next! #SoxFest
- If you’re at #SoxFest let me know as I’d love to meet fellow south side fans. ☺
- Ozzie, KW & Ed Farmer #SoxFest http://plixi.com/p/71709664
- When season ended, KW says it was either go young to compete in a few years or take what had & go all in. #SoxFest
- KW at end of season told Paul he wanted him back & Dunn with him. #SoxFest
- #SoxFest RT @CSNChi_Beatnik: Ed Farmer asks how many ppl have seen Adam Dunn up close. Ozzie interrupts: “How big, or how ugly he is?”
- Oz says felt better chance w/ #Twins closer than the likes of crain or gueirrer
- Oz hitting fungos in street clothes story quite the riot. #SoxFest
- Well I was so good defensively, I forgot to hit. Oz to KW about I can’t hit. #SoxFest
- Fan ? To kw about best / worst trade: kw tells oz to shush. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- KW thinks unfair. Thought colon 1st time good. Next one that takes to series will be best. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Oz very complimentary of Jenks. Says too early to say who his closer is now. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Fan asks about bringing Jermaine Dye back. KW expects him at someone’s camp since feels #WhiteSox are solid, not … http://tmi.me/5NA35
- Kid ask ? For Oz & he says “why” ? Of who 4th hitter & why. Oz says strong middle of lineup so hard to say. Prob dunn 3 & pk 4 now. #SoxFest
- KW: There is a big problem when I’m looking at this kid in college who is better than the guy Coop working w/ in … http://tmi.me/5NB4T
- Sale making Mauer look infantile being discussed. #WhiteSox #Twins #SoxFest
- If you think u worry about slow start, so do I. Oz on the changes to spring coming. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- ? Bout #Twins draws out KW & Oz grimmace. Fan say let’s kick their butts. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- 2 games against MN (thome homer) oz says, there we go it’s Oz fault. Next day when jenks gave up 4. These still kick the gut. #SoxFest
- KW says he wishes Oz would stop talking about those games. #SoxFest #WhiteSox
- KW talking about how Oz just brings up games from out of the blue from long ago. Pretty funny. #SoxFest #WhiteSox
- Fans seem extremely pumped for 2011 season. #SoxFest #WhiteSox
- Thoughts on batting rios 2: Oz says bacon is 2 now & doesn’t want to take rios bat. Ramirez & vizquel also 2 hole possibilities. #SoxFest
- Team does think about the slow starting / cold weather adverse players. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Oz doesn’t sound like he’d ever want naturals as coaches. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- “We’re kind of tapped out” KW on thoughts of having brought andruw jones back. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Sounds like guy asking bout Jones is a huge fan of his. #SoxFest #WhiteSox
- Oz speaking nicely of @BSLillibridge and his outfield abilities. #SoxFest #WhiteSox wish you could have made it Brent.
- Oz wondering if fans hate Carlos Quentin. They keep asking about RF replacement. Says he thinks TCQ will step up … http://tmi.me/5NEh0
- Good session w/ Oz & KW. Always funny. And good to see them getting along #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Some of #WhiteSox front office peeps. #SoxFest http://plixi.com/p/71726250
- #WhiteSox fans: if you want games for apr/may get them now! Special promo now to win trip to spring training. #SoxFest
- #WhiteSox working on a mobile app for parking stuff, etc. Also working on bar coding parking passes to move them with ur tix. #SoxFest
- Jim Cornelison singing anthem at uscf in april. #WhiteSox also going to be doing a 10K on apr 3 in conjunction #Bulls #Blackhawks. #SoxFest
- RT @tinyj: @veeckasinwreck @cherann23 and me having a ball at #soxfest #whitesox http://plixi.com/p/71728627// good to meet fellow peeps
- Session on draft to majors. Questions right off the bat of comparing #Twins org to #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Draft philosophy or getting guys who are high impact / high ceiling. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- ? asked if whether players coming up are given history lessons on team. Asked cause of Bacon’s lack of knowing who Baines is. #SoxFest
- Team does give them info btw. Rick hahn said Bacon’s lack of knowledge was fun for the team. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Priority in future for latin america. Lag now due to the past scandal but Hahn feels that #WhiteSox are on the right track now. #SoxFest
- Lots of talk & comparisons with #Twins. Seems clear goal is not to make playoffs every year, but ultimatley win … http://tmi.me/5NN6B
- Drafting of players about getting the guys with the right tools to help team win. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- And the questioning of Quentin continues. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Fan asked if the guys ever advocate for KW to not trade a player because of his future potential. Interesting question. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Purpose of minors: to provide assets to help team both via trade and on the team. When move a guy, doing to make #WhiteSox better. #SoxFest
- Lauman says when moves are made, always done with eye to future. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Fan asks if any reason for why a early rounder turns into a journeyman & late rounder an allstar. Answer basically luck. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Fan ask why #WhiteSox don’t get fa like cliff lee, sabathia, etc. Hahn says because of allocation of resources. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Hahn says team isn’t adverse but not a philosophy team embraces now & how thet allocate resources. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Buddy Bell just told a guy he wears the uniform of Coop better than coop does. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Bell thinks reason for premiun on catching is because when kids are young, they get moved 2 infield so not doing as much. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- There have been. He’s happy now. would like to be a gm someday. RT @mikeb31772: @cherann23 Any questions on Hahn’s … http://tmi.me/5NOGl
- Oh yes, oney is! So lelvel-headed. RT @JulieDiCaro: @cherann23 but he’s such a level-headed young man . . .
- Session next w/ Bacon, Juan Pierre &Steve Stone. Getting crowded again. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Jokes about Jeff Cox’s base stealing ability. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Juan Pierre talking about what he looks for in pitcher when stealing. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- And he’s sporting a shirt that says “beast mode” & stoney is dissing pierre’s league-leading pickoffs. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Bacon- juan is going to toodle me? I’m from georgia, I don’t know the talk. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Pierre is tutoring Beckham on base stealing. #WhiteSox #SoxFest they did work on some at camp cora.
- Bacon: cox, I got to get on base to steal. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Cox responds with good point. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Jeff Cox is HILARIOUS!! #WhiteSox #SoxFest stoney translating for him. Pierre says now u know y we use sighs. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Juan says one of best baserunning team he was part of 2003 marlins. #WhiteSox #SoxFest don’t have to be fast to be good.
- JP says #Twins are good at it and he gets boos (of course) and he knows yeah, but still they are good. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- “First of all, don’t send konerko” jeff cox in talking about strength of OF arms. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- So sad. And well I leave at that. RT @JulieDiCaro: LOL–@OneyGuillen is threatening to fight people outside #SoxFest. I love it.
- Sliding headfirst into 1B: don’t do it — Juan Pierre. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Stone saying that you never see olympic sprinters head first diving but leaning. Great analogy. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- JP rather get thrown out than picked off because pick-off meant didn’t get the right kind of lead. No Fear. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Steve Stone and his dry cracks are aweosme. Just discussed jose valentin base-running was pretty funny. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- JP says that he thinks Buehrle could pick him off. Buehrle’s had opps, but hasn’t yet. JP not sharing how he reads 56. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- JP wants enough bags this season to get to the world series & wim. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- JP’s “swim move” is his last desperate attempt to not get out. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- JP says that he thinks Buehrle could pick him off. Buehrle’s had opps, but hasn’t yet. JP not sharing how he reads 56. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- JP wants enough bags this season to get to the world series & wim. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Final session today will have Frank Thomas & Adam Dunn. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- And I’m glad I’m getting #Blackhawks updates while attending #SoxFest today. #LetsGoHawks
- And it is getting packed again. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn, Thomas, greg walker & ed farmer #WhiteSox #SoxFest http://plixi.com/p/71758723
- Walker thinks 2011 team is deepest hitting going into ST he’s seen since been hitting coach. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Lots of cheers for Frank after farmio talking bout number retired. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Frank says number ceremony was one of the best days of his life. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Farmer selling Dunn on Chicago! Best fans, best food, etc. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Frank happy & proud to spend time in chicago. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn getting crap for saying fav ballpark to play in so far has been wrigley. Farmer reminding crowd that dunn was a visitor. #SoxFest
- Walker thought #WhiteSox competed well in Target Field. #SoxFest
- I take off maybe 3 weeks. And I lift. I don’t do much running as you can prob tell — adam dunn. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn was recruited as a QB by UT! Fact from Farmio. Frank says should have been a lb. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Farmer discussing what he’d do if his guys get hit. If they hit frank or adam, thinks 2 or 3 from other team for each. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn not a fan of guys dancing around on base when he’s hitting. He’s ok till 2 strikes. Says get used to it. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- We’ll talk — frank to adam on what he will be needing to do as DH. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn prefers ash over maple. Maple doesn’t bend & he doesn’t want to be the guy to kill someone. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Last season was first that Dunn was a first pitch guy. (15% as opposed to 3% in prev years) #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Farmer: I think that heisman might be going back in a few years. Said to auburn guy Frank. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn’s beard: pure laziness. He cuts his own hair. Sweet. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn says he was sold on #WhiteSox because they really wanted to win. #SoxFest
- Dunn’s fav nationals player prob ryan zimmerman. Been friends a long time (kid solicited this info) #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Franks it’s funny that Dunn has batted lead-off. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn retorted back “can we look at career base stealing stats” #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Quentin plays baseball w/ a football players mentality — greg walker #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- I was shell shocked when I learned oz would be my manager. Frank Thomas. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Corrected! RT @cherann23: Franks thinks it’s funny that Dunn has batted lead-off. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Dunn says yes, any #WhiteSox can win mvp. Well maybe not AJ. #SoxFest
- And that’s a wrap for today. Tune in tomorrow for more #SoxFest tweets.
- Just got a pic w/ ozzie jr & roberto hernandez. Will post later. #WhiteSox #SoxFest
- Just witnessed a proposal at #SoxFest. Don’t think couple here for soxfest though.
- So there is a family part #SoxFest that I’m checking out. Aaaaand a guy is singing your love by the outfield now. Bad key for him.
- The live band for karaoke is playing everything in keys too high for the singers. #aretheytryingtomakethesingerssoundbad?
- MT @VeeckAsInWreck: Ladies and gentlemen…let’s get #soxfest trending!! It’s top ten now! #soxfest @tinyj @cherann23 @jeffrey10s @lauriewaz
And that is it for the tweets from day 2. Since there are so many, I will do a separate post from day 3 and i apologize for the long post. If you have any questions about what some of the abbreviations mean, just ask as I realize there may be people who are not white sox fans reading this and therefore don’t know the nicknames for players, coaches, etc.
So . . . for the past month or so, I have been sitting on big news for me and I have been DYING to talk about it. Well, I finally can and my big news is that is that I am going to be joining the G9sports.com network of blogs!!! You can read more about it here, from founder Julie DiCaro. I am really excited to be doing this and I will be covering none other than the White Sox! I hope you all get a chance to check it out once we launch on February 1, 2011. Rest assured, I will continue to post things here, such as the long awaited post on sports learnin’ that I have been meaning to get around to. And who knows, I might even get my fangirl hat on and go to SoxFest 2011 this year. We shall see.
This is a really cool thing for me because of the purpose behind it, and to be included in the 30 women so far who will be writing about sports is amazing. I can’t wait for you to read their work in addition to what I have been writing.
In the mean time, keep reading things here and as things progress with G9, I will be sure to keep you updated on what is happening! Of course, you can always follow me on Twitter for the latest happenings with a girl’s perspective and G9sports.
We are still looking for female writers who know their stuff to cover ALL the teams in NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. And it is not just a midwest sports thing, so if you live on the coasts or know some fans of teams on the coasts, contact me so we can bring you on board. We could really use some Red Sox and Yankee loving ladies (with baseball season fast approaching). There will also be coverage of the various college teams as well.
RIP 2010 White Sox
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night. Rest in Peace 2010 Chicago White Sox. You provided me with a lot of fun, a lot of frustration and a lot of what if for a season that was better than 2009, but somehow felt far worse in 2010. Perhaps the feeling that 2010 was worse than 2009 was because of the acute awareness that we were going on 5 years of the last time you got to the promise land. Maybe it was because I was listening to sports talk radio more and the various hosts and pundits were speaking with such urgency and hunger for a championship, that I was starting to crave it more. Or, perhaps it was the bravado of the general manager who put this together with the pitching that made it all seem like it should happen. In any event, a toast to the season past and looking forward to another long grind in hopes of a championship in 2011.
It is fitting that I write this today on the 5th anniversary of the Chicago White Sox winning the World Series in 2005. I know in the coming weeks, there will be lots of changes coming to the team. I’m pretty sure Mark Kotsay (who felt he was underappreciated) and Andruw Jones (who did his thing for a couple of months then went back to bad) will not be back with the team. I don’t think Omar Vizquel will be back, but he still is in great shape and may want to play and mentor young players. Questions remain with whether Paul Konerko will be back and I don’t think he will be. There is also a question at catcher. My guess is the White Sox will low ball A.J. Pierzynski and it will be up to the market to see if a team wants A.J. for more years and money than the White Sox will offer. Of course, there are issues at 3rd base. After the 2010 season, I don’t see Mark Teahen getting that job unless he goes to Camp Cora (assuming Joey doesn’t get a managerial job) and becomes a better 3rd baseman than Brooks Robinson or Mike Schmidt defensively.
The middle infield looks good. I expect that for 2011, Alexi Ramirez will continue to develop into an elite shortstop and I have no doubt that Gordon “Bacon” Beckham will also continue his development as a 2nd baseman. The outfield for 2011 also appears up in the air to me as it seems to me that only Center Field is set. Alex Rios was quite the pleasant surprise for 2010 given how he was a disappointment when he came to the Sox in 2009 after a waiver wire deal. Carlos Quentin still frustrates to no end. After watching what he can do and then seeing how he gets in his own way when it comes to hitting, he is clearly his own worst enemy. From what I see, he looks like a guy who over thinks everything and could benefit from some days of just going out, playing the game as just that – A GAME and having fun. I know that is easier said than done, but if he could do that, he might actually be the player that everyone thinks is there. The other annoying thing with him is that in 2010, he was playing Right Field as though he had never fielded there in his life. Some of the routes he takes to catch fly balls made zero sense and he at times would make the worst left fielder look like an all-star if that guy played in right. Given how much of an enigma Quentin is, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him traded this off season.
Juan Pierre was much better than I thought. Although, at the beginning of the season, I was not one of those fans who was pining to bring back Scott Podsednik as I think he is beyond baseball stupid and while Pierre and Podsednik are basically the same type of player and would put up similar numbers, I’d much prefer to have a guy who had baseball intelligence to one who was just as dumb playing the game as you could find. Granted, Pierre didn’t make as much contact or get on base as much as sabermatricians would like, he was serviceable enough in the job that I was ok with things for the most part. Whether he will be back next season, not sure, but if KW can find a better lead-off option then I am all for that.
The pitching staff. Those were the guys who were touted at the start of the 2010 season as being the savior of the team and would-be leaders to the Promised Land. With a starting 4 of Buehrle, Peavey, Floyd and Danks, how could this team not go far? Not to mention having Freddy Garcia as a number 5 could be fine. And if he wasn’t, you had a few guys in the minors who would work as a serviceable 5th starter. Sadly, the pitching staff got off to a bad start. That, going along with lack of offense made of a recipe for a bad start to the season. It seemed if the hitting was there, the pitching wasn’t. If the pitching was, there were not enough runs scored to support it. Eventually, it all did come together, but then the bullpen faltered down the stretch and alas, the season came to an end for the White Sox.
I can only hope that the ensuing off-season will bring together a group of guys to fit with the existing starters (and all those guys come back healthy – I’m looking at you Jake Peavy) and few position players that will not only compete, but actually win in 2011. Some advice for KW: for the love of god, please get off the obsession with Adam Dunn. And while you are at it, stop obsessing with other players you’ve been looking at / after for quite some time and trying to make them members of the White Sox. Go get the best players out there, hell even dream and get in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes. And please stop going after washed-up has-beens who you think you can catch lightening in the bottle. News-flash – you won’t because there is really nothing to be caught (see how that Jones experiment worked? Good while it lasted and not there when it was needed most). Stop trying to bring the Kansas City Royals to the south side, unless you are talking about bringing Zack Greinke or Joakim Soria here. Lastly, please don’t disappoint me and other fans with bringing in bad players or giving out bad contracts that make it impossible to move those players later when you realize those players are bad.
And now back to my regularly scheduled watching of post season baseball, hockey and the occasional football game.
I just don’t get it
Now that baseball is in the post season, most people i know are very much into football at the moment. I have a few friends who are into hockey, but given the slow the start the Blackhawks are off to, most of the sports talk is about football. At one point in time, I actually had a huge working knowledge of football and was a huge Bears fan. I would have been able to carry on a conversation about football to the same extent that I can baseball. However, now, I am not so much interested in football anymore. Not because of some sort of dislike of violence (have ya watched a hockey game lately and seen some of the vicious hits those guys take), but because I find it dull.
Due to this new-found boredom of watching football I can root for whoever you tell me to. I will often go to bars to watch games because I am *that* fan who will yell at the tv at players who do dumb things. Not normally a problem except my upstairs neighbors are elderly and probably hate hearing me yell for dumb things that happen on the ice, the football field or the baseball field. So as a courtesy to them, I give them the occasional break from my yelling and watch at a bar. Because I have very little interest in football, I have actually seen more than my fare share of Packers games with some friends who are Packers fans. So many in fact, that I know most of the Packers cheers even though I grew up in an area that was decidedly Bears country.
All of that is fine and good except that I don’t understand college football (passion — i understand the game perfectly well) and the madness that accompanies those games. This may be because I missed out on that fun from college. I went to DePaul University and we did not have a football team. During football season, my school got a little “nutso” in the head and would root for Notre Dame during football season. I suppose mainly because it was the closest catholic school with a decent football program (although, that is hugely debatable). In any event, all love for Notre Dame ended when it was basketball season because the Blue Demons do actually have a basketball team (although, there is tons of work to do to make that program great again).
If I were a college football fan, then I should be a Fighting Irish fan. Personally I never became a fan of Notre Dame because I thought it was dumb to root for them just because of my school’s lack of a football team, the whole catholic school connection and because of my waning interest in football. Due to this, I never understood the whole devotion of saturdays to college football games and wondering who was ranked where and who was going to be in the BCS title game. However, lately, I have found myself expanding my horizons and occasionally watching games. And of all the teams to be interested in following, I have been interested in the University of Michigan Wolverines. I have to blame this on the fact that I know many people who went to Michigan and because one of the beat writers for the White Sox went to Michigan as well. That alone wouldn’t really do it to make me have a passing interest in Michigan. However this writer will also talk about the many White Sox players who have ties to Michigan. And if White Sox players are involved, somehow I find a bit more interest in something. As some people know, somehow many things I do in life somehow will relate back to the White Sox. I suppose that makes sense as to why I have a passing interest in Michigan. Although for picking a random team to follow, Michigan State would make a bit more sense since my sister went to school there and I actually own a sweatshirt from that school.
My biggest reason for just not understanding the whole college football experience is probably because of knowing so many people who root for teams that they have ZERO connection to. Or those who spend so much time rooting for their alma mater that I wonder if they have lives outside of keeping up with what their college teams did. I suppose the same could be said of my sports obsessions (White Sox, Blackhawks), but in my mind those are justified because they are professional teams as opposed to college. But the college games are a HUGE business, so maybe they are equal in some regard minus the college players getting paid.
Anyway, I am going to try to just enjoy it for what it is and not necessarily root for anyone, but at least see who might be the next great players in the NFL may be one day. And I won’t let anyone in on my dirty little secret when it comes to discussing football with many hardcore fans 🙂